Tata Steel Limited as its corporate responsibility towards preservation of environment, forests and wildlife in the steel city of Jamshedpur and to provide awareness to the citizens here on both endemic and exotic faunal diversity established the Tata Steel Zoological Society in 1991. The Society is registered under Societies Registration Act, 21 of 1860 in the state of Jharkhand. The society has also been declared as a 'Charitable Institution' under section 12A/AA of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Donations to Tata Steel Zoological Society are eligible for 50% tax exemption under section 80G (5) of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Aims and objectives of the Society
Aim: The principal aim of the society is to manage, run, and maintain the Zoological Park called Tata Steel Zoological Park, which would be a place for awareness & education of the inhabitants of Jamshedpur and surrounding areas; research; conservation and captive breeding of birds, animals, reptiles, aquatic creatures etc. In order to run and maintain such creatures it will be necessary to have a Veterinary Hospital to look after them and it will also be necessary to have staff to administer and maintain the Zoological Park. The Tata Steel Zoological Park would also provide a natural environment for birds, animals and other creatures where they can live in simulated natural conditions and without any fear of loss of their lives.
- To maintain a proper environment for the breeding and bringing up of birds and animals.
- To conserve and enrich the flora and fauna in this region and provide proper living conditions for the birds to come to breed and flourish, multiply and cross multiply.
- To maintain a veterinary hospital with all facilities for surgical operations, physical rehabilitation etc.
- To provide for education, especially in the Zoological Field and research work thereof, with a view to ascertain to most congenial atmosphere, climate and living conditions for the welfare and growth of birds, animals , reptiles, aquatic creatures in general.
- To retain, train or get trained and / or employ skilled professional or technical advisors, staff and workers in connection with the objectives of the society and pay such honorarium, fees and/ or remuneration.
- To prepare, print, Publish, and propagate papers, literature, or periodicals, conduct seminars, conferences and experiments in furtherance of the objectives of the society.
- To solicit obtain or accept subscriptions, donations, grant –in- aid, gifts in the form of money and/or animals and birds for furtherance and upkeep of the Park.
- To do all other things that are incidental or conducive to the achievement or furtherance of the aims and objectives of the society.
- To establish promote or cooperate with or become a member of any association or other bodies or individuals having similar objectives,
- To make rules and regulations in connection with the management and control of the Park.
- The income and profits of the said society whatsoever derived or obtained shall be solely applied towards the promotion of the objectives of the society and no portion thereof shall be paid to or distributed amongst the members of the society,
- The society shall ensure and protect the rights of its members and safe guard their interests by all lawful means.
- The society shall ensure that its own funds and those received from other donations and /or any other source are properly utilized in the furtherance of any one or more of afore mentioned purposes.
- For the purpose of proper control and management of the affairs of the society, it shall form a managing committee which shall be competent to engage any person/persons in any capacity, and on such terms and conditions as it may consider necessary for the purpose of its proper and effective functioning.
- To undertake, promote and assist in programmes of conservation, development and utilization of biological resources with a view to maintain ecological stability and variety with the application of science and technology and its resources.
- To solicit , obtain and accept subscriptions, donations, grant-in-aid, gifts and endowments bequests and trusts of movable and immovable property and birds, animals etc. of any kind from companies, government, municipalities, Notified area committees, birds and animals found in nature, other local and public bodies, cooperative societies or other person or persons on such terms and conditions as considered fit and proper by the managing committee and otherwise to receive them.
- To purchase or take by way of lease, sub-lease, gifts, exchange, hire or otherwise acquire any movable or immovable property and in particular birds, animals etc or any land, building, workshop laboratory, hospital, machinery, equipment, furniture, scientific record, experimental data, library, plant, apparatus, appliance and any right or privilege necessary or convenient for the purpose of the society, and to construct, erect, develop, alter, improve, any building or land.
- To borrow or raise money for the purpose of the society on terms and conditions as may be considered fit by its managing committee.
- To sell charge , hire, lease, demise , let ,mortgage, dispose off or otherwise deal with and manage the assets and properties movable or immovable of the society.
- To sell, dispose off, distribute, market or donate the produces, products and constituent birds and animals procured or generated in carrying out any of the activities of the society.
- To establish, maintain, control, or manage branches of the society in India and elsewhere.
- To establish support or and in the establishment and support of associations, institutions, funds, trusts and conveniences calculated to benefit employees or ex-employees of the society, or the dependants of such persons, and to grant pension and allowances to make payments towards insurance of such persons.
- To pay out the funds belonging to the society or out of any other particular part of such funds, all expenses of or incidental to the formation of the society and for management and administration of any of the objectives of the society including all rents, license, fees, rates, taxes, outgoing salaries, honorarium and other benefits of the employees.
- To draw, make, accept, and endorse, discount the cheques, notes or other negotiable instruments.
- For the purpose of the society, to sign deeds, documents and assurances as may be necessary.
Functions of the Society:
The main office of the society is located within Tata Steel Zoological Park at Jubilee Park, Jamshedpur. The administration of the society is controlled by a Managing Committee. The term of the committee is for three years. The Managing committee constitutes eight members including following office bearers:
The management committee approves yearly budget for various activities to be carried out by the Society during that particular year. The management committee meetings are held several times in the year, where review of working of the zoo is discussed and new projects sanctioned. The annual general meeting (AGM) of the society is held once in a year, where the audited accounts of the society are adopted.
- Hony. Secretary
- Hony. Assistant Secretary
- Hony. Treasurer